It doesn't necessarily need to be all b*tches and cars - Scorcher
I caught up with North London Grime artist
and Top Boy’s Kamale Scorcher to discuss his upcoming EP 1 of 1 .The first single off of the new EP Work
Get It feat. Wretch 32 and Mercston
has made real noise in the UK Grime scene and accompanied by a very well made
video, it’s clear that Scorcher is looking to set a president and perhaps a new
level of creativity that the UK has been lacking.
Your
new single ‘Work Get It’ what was the motivation behind its release?
What I wanted to do was to embrace that
vibe you get when the movement comes together, like in a Westwood or a Fire in
the Booth. I wanted to get that feeling when people not only respond to the
music but to enjoy the energy of us being with each other and having fun. I
don’t know why we don’t do records like this together more often. We always feature on each other’s work but we
never release it as a single.
So
what inspired you to make a single with Wretch 32?
They’re my bredrins and that’s what people
take to. People love it when the movement does freestyles and gets together and
does songs so I thought let’s do something that’s not a ‘single’ per say, it’s
a Grime song.
With
the single “Work Get it” out there and making noise, and your EP due, what else
have you been up to recently?
Well I’ve already shot my next video and
I’ve got probably two singles left that I want to do off of the EP
Can
you tell us anything about those upcoming videos and singles? Any special
features or moments?
All I can tell you is, the next video we’ve
got coming out, I tried to do something very different and put the real
creativity back into what we are doing. It doesn’t necessarily need to be all
b*tches and cars. What it does need to be is about the creativity. I worry that
there’s not enough care in the craft.
Do
you reckon that is down to the systematic problem in UK Urban music that we
always try and emulate the US?
Yeah, Maybe. I just look at my individuality and myself, just
the way I dress, more often than not I wear one off pieces and a lot of English
designers and brands and I’ve started to look at my music the same way, which
is why I called the EP 1 of 1. Each record is unique to that moment or that
time or that vibe the producer and me have got. That’s why I think I need the
videos to match that feeling.
Well the idea for the next video, I wanted
an excuse to act so what we did, we came up with an idea of making a short
film.
So
you can put forward your whole creative array? Not just Scorcher the spitter
but also your acting career, obviously famous for your role as Kamale in Top
Boy.
I like to think I’m just a hub of
creativity on any level whether it is acting or whether it is the visuals in
the videos or the music. I just feel like this is the way my entire project
needs to be handled.
You
want it to represent you?
That’s it. I feel like being independent
has really helped me embrace that. I feel such a good response from “Work Get
It” Just me being me and doing what I like doing is getting such a good
response and it makes me feel like this is the right way for me to do it.
Is
there anybody in the UK scene who inspires you?
To be honest, I don’t really get inspired
by other artists but there are people that I really like and appreciate. I like
what Youngs Teflon is doing, he’s wavy. I like what Wretch is doing too, he
played me his next single the other day and it is a mad ting. I really liked
what Skepta and J.M.E did with ‘That’s not me’ I like that because that’s true
to themselves and I feel like, when I watch it or listen to it, that’s what
they enjoy.
There
is coolness about artists like those in the Boy Better Know movement, Wretch and yourself.
Not many people other than you guys truly represent the ‘Cool’ London movement.
Do you think that’s something that has held the UK music scene back? Especially
Grime, the faceless, hood up, face down mentality?
It’s got to the point where people are scared
to be themselves and I just think that once people start to be themselves,
there will be enough to it that everyone else will cotton on and start to be
their unique selves.
I
mean, there’s not much argument that London is the coolest city in the world in
respect to our cultural significance.
There’s no coincidence, I mean all
footballers want to come here and play for a London based team because, they
can be as far away from home as they can be but here in London, you can find
your place to feel home.
Is
that conducive to a creative person like yourself?
Absolutely and I think once more people
start to embrace their own uniqueness, there will be a real shift. I hope so
anyway.
Is
that kind of the message of this new and creative movement you’re trying to
pioneer?
I wouldn’t say I’m trying to pioneer anything;
I’m just trying to do me and make things that represent my own unique styles
and tastes. Hopefully people will be able to hear it and relate to it on the
new EP.
With
an undeniably unique flair and approach to music, fashion and style, Scorcher
is clearly aiming to make a statement with his new EP 1 Of 1 and with the
planned release of more exclusive single videos, this could be a big 12 months
for Scorcher.
Work
Get It is available on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/wor...
And
YouTube



.png)
Comments
Post a Comment